- Issuing directives on the length of studies and recognition of previous studies and qualifications binding on the partners to the agreement;
- Awards project-specific grants;
- Periodical assessment of how National Centers of Competence in Research are allotted with respect to distribution of tasks among universities throughout Switzerland;
- Recognition of academic bodies and courses;
- Issuing directives on evaluation of teaching and research;
- Issuing directives on knowledge transfer in research.
The SUC consists of the ministers of public education of the cantons with universities, two representatives of cantons without a university, the Secretary of State for Education and Research and the President of the ETH Board. The President of the Rectors' Conference of the Swiss Universities also has a seat in a consultative capacity as do the director of the Federal Office for Professional Education and Technology, the head of the department "universitiy institutes" in the State Secretariate for Education and Research and the secretary general of the SUC. Day-to-day business of the SUC is cared for by its general secretariat, which also assists various commissions such as: the Conference of Chief officers at the ministerial departments for university education, the Agency for University Buildings as well as the steering committees for equal opportunities, for the Consortium for University Libraries and for cost calculation.
A close partner of the SUC is the Rectors' Conference of the Swiss Universities (CRUS), which is entrusted with supervision of academic affairs.